Origination of Tshechu:
Padmasambhava, the great scholar, visited Tibet and Bhutan in the 8th century and 9th century. He used to convert opponents of Buddhism by performing rites, reciting mantras and finally performing a dance of subjugation to conquer local spirits and gods. He visited Bhutan to aid the dying king Sindhu Raja. Padmasambhava performed a series of such dances in the Bumthang Valley to restore the health of the king. The grateful king helped spread Buddhism in Bhutan. Padmasambhava organized the first tshechu in Bumthang, where the eight manifestations of Padmasambhava were presented through eight forms of dances. These became the Cham dances depicting the glory of Padmasambhava.
About the Festival:
The three days festival will entirely be depicting the sacred dances of Pema Lingpa. Because Pema Lingpa was an important religious personality born in Bumthang and also the fact that Bumthang is the seat for both the 1st and the 2nd King, all in all it perfectly go with our setting to hold Peling Tshechu in Wangduecholing Palace in Bumthang.
It brings together a rich selection of sacred mask dances of the Peling tradition from across the country.
The event will also portray selected sacred chams from various Peling festivals and for the very first time, this unique festival will showcase Peling Cham traditions from all parts of Bhutan, a never seen before event.
Showcased during the festival are Kunzang Drak Tshechu,
Tamzhing Phala Choedpa, Nimalung Treda. Korphu Drup, Yungdrung Choeling Drup, Drametse Tshechu, Padtsheling Phurbai Cham and Gangtey Tshechu. The Tshechu will end with a Throm Wang (blessing) by His Eminence Sungtrul Rinpoche, Gangtey Trulku, Padtsheling Trulku and Datong Trulku.
This Tshechu is performed for the longevity and good health of the Fourth Druk Gyalpo.
DAY1 29th March 2015
1. Peling Phagcham (lay people) - Tamzahing, Bumthang
2. Peling Chaktshel - Korphu,Trongsa
3. The Farewell of Heroes - Dochula Druk Wangyel Tshechu, Thimphu
4. Cha-Gyeng Cham - Wangzhing Goenpa, Lhuentse
5. Combat of the Heroes - Dochula Druk Wangyel Tshechu, Thimphu
6. Pema Lingpa Cham - Dungkar Choeling, Pema Gatsel
7. Return of the Heroes - Dochula Druk Wangyel Tsechu, Thimphu
DAY2 30th March 2015
1. Peling Shinjey - Korphu, Trongsa
2. Chamchen (monk) - Tamshing, Bumthang
3. Peling Pa-cham - Gangtey Goenpa, Wangdue
4. Tsholing cham - Nyimalung, Bumthang
5. Drung cham/Brum cham - Prakar, Bumthang
6. Peling Shazam - Yungdrung Choeling, Trongsa
7. Rigma Chudrugmamai cham - Tsakaling Mongar
DAY3 31st March 2015
1. Peling Phagcham - Yagang, Mongar
2. Dramitse Ngacham - Dramitse, Mongar
3. Peling Juging - Gangtey Goenpa, Wangdue
4. Peling Driging - Gangtey Goenpa, Wangdue
5. Peling Ngaging (monk) - Tamzhing, Bumthang
6. Guru Tshengey - Nyimalung, Bumthang
District Culture Officer : +975 03 631539,
Wangduecholing Lam : +975 03 631422